[Vision2020] re: liquor liability insurance

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:09:35 -0800

Mr. Hansen:
What Mr. Steed was pointing out is that the answer to
your question had just been posted in that the Idaho
"dram shop act" (Title 23, Chap 808) is what you are
calling a "third party law."  And, rather than creating
liability, it specifically says that the person who serves the
alcohol is NOT "the cause of injuries inflicted by
intoxicated persons..." and that no cause of action will lie
against the one who "sold or otherwise furnished [as in,
"gave"] alcoholic beverages to the intoxicated person"
UNLESS the person to whom the alcohol was furnished
was either under 21 or "obviously intoxicated at the time
the alcoholic beverages were sold or furnished...."

Thus, even a bar can only be held liable if one of those
two conditions is met.  It cannot be held liable just
because it provides a patron more than the legal limit for
drivers (.08).

Mike Curley