[Vision2020] http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:10:46 -0800

At 08:23 PM 2/9/2003 -0500, WMSteed@aol.com wrote:
>Without reading it all and not being an authority, it still seems to me that
>Pres. Bush, et al, have acted with the approval of the US Congress i.e. "1.
>Ordering and directing "first strike" war of aggression against Afghanistan
>causing thousands of deaths;
>2. Removing the government of Afghanistan by force and installing a
>government of his choice;"
>
>and within resolutions passed by the UN and approved by the Congress.  ie. "
>3. Authorizing daily intrusions into Iraqi airspace [UN proscribed No Fly
>Zones] and aerial attacks including attacks on alleged defense installations
>in Iraq which have killed hundreds of people in time of peace;"

Walter,

If you have evidence that the U.N. approved the No Fly Zones, I'd like to
see it.  Everything I've ever heard on this has stated that the No Fly
Zones were not approved by the U.N., rather they were declared unilaterally
by the U.S. (perhaps with England joining in).  The U.S. may cite certain
U.N. resolutions allowing military action, and interpret them very broadly
(and incorrectly).  No such authorization of Iraqi "No Fly Zones"
explicitly exists under international law.  They were invented by the
country that allowed Iraq to fly in these zones immediately after the 100
hour war so Hussein could quell the uprisings of the Kurds and the Shi'a
population.  If these zones were authorized under U.N. resolutions, why
didn't Bush Sr. enforce them immediately after he reduced the Iraqi
civilian infrastructure to rubble, allowing the possible overthrow of Saddam?

I remember Bush Sr. saying at the time, "Gee, we told them that they could
fly helicopters, and now they're using them to kill people, but I'm such a
gentleman, and I can't go back on my word."  Quote modified only slightly.

Of course, impeachment is only a pipe dream at this time, so aside from
using http://www.votetoimpeach.org/ as a publicity stunt, I don't see the
point of discussing the possibility.  But let history be clear:

1. After the "Gulf War," Bush Sr. allowed Saddam to fly into the north and
south of his country, quelling uprisings and undoubtedly killing a lot of
people, and
2. The No Fly Zones are not sanctioned by the U.N.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642