[Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt Schools

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:36:52 -0800

Dale says:
"My point was that private schools can produce twice the "product" for half
the money. We would *all* be better off by going with the lower-cost, better
product."

I must have missed the part where demonstrating the fine achievements of
recent Logos School graduates allowed us to draw the conclusion that all
private school grads are superior to (much less twice as good as) their
public school counterparts.  We haven't even established how we'd control a
data set for comparisons . . .or why we'd want to.

And I can't let the assertion pass that we'd all be better off if we just
sent our kids to Logos--while it might be a good choice for some folks, it'd
be a pretty awful fit for my kids (I'm guessing *Heather has Two Mommies*
isn't in the school library).

But of course all of this begs another question--and I'm asking myself, not
just you all--

Why are we still having this argument?

What's in it for us?  What's our goal?  Why are some of us so invested in
this particular debate?  And what are we achieving with it?

Some rhetorical questions (in both senses of that much-maligned word),

Melynda

"The things that make us happy make us wise."  John Crowley