[Vision2020] The Benefits of Polarization

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:23:37 +0000

Bob, et. al.

Yes, of course, religion is a matter of faith.  And depending exactly on
your religion (some people stretch the definition of religion to include
belief systems that might be rationally defendable), it should not be
expected for a practitioner of religion to always defend their beliefs on
rational grounds.

But this is exactly what many Christians do: defend their beliefs on
rational grounds!  And then they turn around and insist that people who do
not believe in their religion are not being rational.

Thus we have Douglas Wilson, local minister and Christian Trinitarian, bless
his soul, insisting on the irrationality of "progressives" and "relativists"
who fail to understand that their relativism renders any moral outrage they
may feel an irrational state of mind.  I agree he scores a point on this
issue.

So, Bob, when Christians' play the game of logic and evidence to defend
their beliefs, and also attack other ideologies based on these arguments,
then we are not playing different games as you suggest.  Same game with the
same rules, unless you want to wade into the deep waters of relativistic
systems of logic that are different for different ideologies, deep waters
which if waded into far enough render all communication of rational thought
across ideological systems essentially pointless.  If you sink into these
depths, anyone can insist that any ideology makes sense from the point of
view of their system of logic.  I do not share this sort of extreme defense
of subjective logic that rejects the demand for shared rules of logic that
all ideologies need to follow to be rational.

Ted