[Vision2020] The Benefits of Polarization

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:17:38 +0000

Doug, et. al.

Talk about a polarizing ideology, let's discuss the dogma and restrictions
imposed by certain forms of Christianity!  Religion almost always imposes
authoritarian ideological control over peoples lives by setting up us versus
them, good versus evil dichotomies that are rigid and absolute, thus
simplifying for the adherents of said religion what might be the difficult
task of judging other people of differing ideologies or navigating
perplexing moral choices.

I'm not going to give energy here to those endless loops of logic whereby so
called progressives who promote "pluralism" and "relativism" get caught
defending certain values so vehemently that certain absolutist Trinitarians
drool over the contradictions that have snared those poor misled
progressives.  I merely point out the logical difficulties involved in
rationally defending Christianity, which are so various and profound it
takes an extreme compartmentalization of the mind to on the one hand so
vigorously point out the logical problems with progressivism while failing
to admit the logical flaws in Christianity.

Their is an intellectual "bad faith" in certain Christians who hide behind a
certainty of knowledge that is not rationally defendable, while thumbing
their noses at the people in doubt who, though of course not without
definite values on life, at least have the honesty and integrity to admit
they really don't have all the answers to life's big questions.

Ted