[Vision2020] The Benefits of Polarization

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 21:42:38 -0800

I learned (at a private college) that the justification of religion on
rational grounds is a fallacy.  Religion is at its base a matter of faith,
not a matter of science.  Once a person told me that her faith could be
defended on reason and mathematics alone, as someone had written a book
mathematically proving God to exist.  I asked her, "If I read that book,
and could point out a mathematical flaw, thereby proving that logically
there was no God, would you abandon your religious beliefs?"  She
entertained the notion for a few moments, and then answered in the
negative.  I would expect any person of faith to do the same.

So I do not call for a logical defense of Christianity (or Islam, Judaism,
Buddhism, etc.).  To do so is to not understand religion, with its
mysteries and miracles.  I do call for people of these religions to respect
me and my rights as I respect them and their rights.  If I claim to be a
rationalist, a man of science, and a man of faith asks me to logically
justify myself, I cannot turn that around and ask him to logically justify
his beliefs.  It's like a basketball player pointing out the no-good catch
of a bounced football, and the football player turning around and saying,
"But you bounce your ball all the time!"  Different games, different rules.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642