[Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt Schools

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:29:11 -0800

Greetings Visionaires -

Dale Courtney stated:

"I would make one modification. Let parents have a tax refund equal to the
cost of schooling their children; then let *them* choose where they want to
send their children to school. They will vote with their money and all the
schools will have to be responsive to the desires of the parents -- or they
vote with their feet."

If parents were given a refund equal to schooling their children, do you
seriously believe that this money would be reinvested in their childrens'
education?  In the case of middle and low income families, that money is
more likely to be spent on food and clothing.  This system has been
discussed before.  Each and every time that it is brought up, it is
routinely shot down.  George W pushed for it during his campaign in 2000.

Another question:  Should every family receive such a refund or only those
families that own property (since education is financed through property
taxes)?

As much as I would love to vote on each and every school levy/bond that is
presented, I opt not to because I neither have children attending school in
MSD nor do I own land in Latah County.  I feel that it would not be right
for me to define how MSD children are educated if I do not have children
attending those same schools.  I also feel that it would not be right for me
to define how property tax revenue is spent if I am not paying property tax.

Where would Christianity be if Jesus got eight to fifteen years, with time
off for good behavior?
-- New York Senator James H. Donovan commenting on capital punishment.