[Vision2020] Logos Birthday Spankings and Bathroom Privilege Defined.

Valuachild@aol.com Valuachild@aol.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:02:23 EST

--part1_bb.39fb83e5.2d10b0bf_boundary

Dear Visonaries,

       I have received several inquires as to the meaning of the terms I used
in my letter to you all.  I guess after four years at this school, it was so
common place, that most parents just accept this as part of their child's
education and its no big deal.

         After having knowledge of numerous classmates and friends of my
three children at Logos over the years, children whom I knew to have been abused
by the school, I felt it necessary at times to talk to their parents.  I was
hurt, to see the child so hurt.  On each of these occasion, the parent, usually
the mother,  defended the school and said that their child must have deserved
it, they saw nothing wrong with the punishment, or somehow explained it away.

       Birthday Spankings   The teacher sent the student was to Tom
Garfield's office, formerly the principal, now the superintendent at Logos.  They
received a spanking on the bottom with a paddle and a $1.00 coin.

       Forced Waste Retention -- the medical term -- the practice by school
teachers and other caretakers of delaying or preventing children from
eliminating body waste.  Logos school usually refers to it as "bathroom privilege."
The "bathroom privilege" is viewed by all elementary school teachers at Logos,
with the exception of perhaps one of the first grade teachers that seems to be
more compassionate, is seen as precisely that: a privilege, not necessity or a
right.  Students are denied access to the toilet for the sake of the
teacher's convenience, so as "not to interrupt the lesson."  In the case of young
children, for whom bladder and bowel control have not been fully mastered, denying
a child the opportunity for prompt relief when the need arises can have
serious, long-lasting physical and psychological consequences.  For individuals of
any age, forced retention of body waste not only carries serious health risks,
but constitutes a violation of fundamental human right.  Most authorities
consider this an overlooked for of child abuse.

The following is the "Discipline Policy" as taken from LOGOS ELEMENTARY
SCHOOL STUDENT-PARENT HANDBOOK-

       "Corporal Punishment:  The following is the "Discipline Policy"
defined by Logos in the

The five basic behaviors that automatically necessitate discipline are:
       1. Disrespect shown to any staff member.  The staff member will be the
judge of whether of not disrespect have been shown.
       2. Dishonesty in any situation while at school, including lying,
cheating, and stealing.
       3. Rebellion, i.e., outright disobedience in response to instructions.
       4. Fighting, i.e., striking in anger with the intention to harm the
other student (s).
       5. Obscene, vulgar or profane language, as well as taking the name of
the Lord in vain.

"During the visit with the principal, the principal will determine the nature
of the discipline."

       Although the policy lists "other measures consistent with biblical
guidelines which may be appropriate, and my four years of experience at
Logos/Christ Church, that meant spankings, pure and simple, spankings with any number
of boards hanging in the schools office, spankings regardless of the severity
of the offense.  The children are spanked beginning in Kindergarten as young as
5 yrs old, it seems to be especially common among the boys.  The girls are
usually spanked by  second grade teacher, B.J. Jordan, and possibly Garfield.
The Logos School Secretaries or staff in the office at the time, witness every
one of them.

Ruth Drollinger

--part1_bb.39fb83e5.2d10b0bf_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Visonaries,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have received several inquires as to=20=
the meaning of the terms I used in my letter to you all.&nbsp; I guess after=
 four years at this school, it was so common place, that most parents just a=
ccept this as part of their child's education and its no big deal.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; After having knowledge of n=
umerous classmates and friends of my three children at Logos over the years,=
 children whom I knew to have been abused by the school, I felt it necessary=
 at times to talk to their parents.&nbsp; I was hurt, to see the child so hu=
rt.&nbsp; On each of these occasion, the parent, usually the mother,&nbsp; d=
efended the school and said that their child must have deserved it, they saw=
 nothing wrong with the punishment, or somehow explained it away.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <U>Birthday Spankings</U>&nbsp;&nbsp; T=
he teacher sent the student was to Tom Garfield's office, formerly the princ=
ipal, now the superintendent at Logos.&nbsp; They received a spanking on the=
 bottom with a paddle and a $1.00 coin.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <U>Forced Waste Retention -- the</U> me=
dical term -- the practice by school teachers and other caretakers of delayi=
ng or preventing children from eliminating body waste.&nbsp; <B>Logos </B>sc=
hool usually refers to it as "bathroom privilege."&nbsp; The "bathroom privi=
lege" is viewed by all elementary school teachers at Logos, with the excepti=
on of perhaps one of the first grade teachers that seems to be more compassi=
onate, is seen as precisely that: a privilege, not necessity or a right.&nbs=
p; Students are denied access to the toilet for the sake of the teacher's co=
nvenience, so as "not to interrupt the lesson."&nbsp; In the case of young c=
hildren, for whom bladder and bowel control have not been fully mastered, de=
nying a child the opportunity for prompt relief when the need arises can hav=
e serious, long-lasting physical and psychological consequences.&nbsp; For i=
ndividuals of any age, forced retention of body waste not only carries serio=
us health risks, but constitutes a violation of fundamental human right.&nbs=
p; Most authorities consider this an overlooked for of child abuse.<BR>
<BR>
The following is the "Discipline Policy" as taken from <U>LOGOS ELEMENTARY S=
CHOOL STUDENT-PARENT HANDBOOK</U>- <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "<U>Corporal Punishment</U>:&nbsp; The=20=
following is the "Discipline Policy" defined by Logos in the <BR>
<BR>
The five basic behaviors that <B>automatically</B> necessitate discipline ar=
e:<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. <B>Disrespect</B> shown to <I>any</I=
> staff member.&nbsp; The staff member will be the judge of whether of not d=
isrespect have been shown.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. <B>Dishonesty</B> in any situation w=
hile at school, including lying, cheating, and stealing.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. <B>Rebellion</B>, i.e., outright dis=
obedience in response to instructions.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 4. <B>Fighting,</B> i.e., striking in a=
nger with the intention to harm the other student (s).<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 5. <B>Obscene, vulgar or profane langua=
ge</B>, as well as taking the name of the Lord in vain.<BR>
<BR>
"During the visit with the principal, the principal will determine the natur=
e of the discipline."&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR=

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Although the policy lists "other measur=
es consistent with biblical guidelines which may be appropriate, <B>and my f=
our years of experience at Logos/Christ Church, that meant spankings, pure a=
nd simple, spankings with any number of boards hanging in the schools office=
, spankings regardless of the severity of the offense.&nbsp; The children ar=
e spanked beginning in Kindergarten as young as 5 yrs old, it seems to be es=
pecially common among the boys.&nbsp; The girls are usually spanked by&nbsp;=
 second grade teacher, B.J. Jordan, and possibly Garfield.&nbsp; The Logos S=
chool Secretaries or staff in the office at the time, witness every one of t=
hem. <BR>
<BR>
Ruth Drollinger<BR>
<BR>
</B><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>

--part1_bb.39fb83e5.2d10b0bf_boundary--