[Vision2020] Being Geraldine

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:58:25 -0800

Mike says:

>The Bible is either God's word to men or it isn't.

Why?  Why is this an either/or?  What if some parts of the Bible are
divinely inspired and others aren't?  How did the Bible in its current
incarnation come to be?  (Let's ignore, for the sake of convenience, the
differences not only between the Catholic and Protestant versions but also
among the various translations.)  What texts were included?  What texts were
left out?  And always why, why, why?

I spent the better part of my graduate school career translating a single
poem, Beowulf.  Three thousand and some odd lines, written in Old English,
only one extant copy.  Compared to assembling, translating, and interpreting
the Bible, working with Beowulf is a piece of cake.  And yet there are words
in Beowulf that translators can only guess at; there are other words that
have multiple meanings.  The manuscript was at one time used as a chopping
block, and, later, it was burned in a fire.  The edges have deteriorated, so
we rely on something called the Thorkelin transcripts, but Thorkelin, though
painstaking, did make the occasional transcription error.

An Anglo-Saxonist might build her career arguing over a passage or a verse,
laboriously explaining why her interpretation of "Modthryth was a good folk
queen" is better than your interpretation.  Or, she might look at the bigger
picture and ask why the story of the Old Testament Judith was bound in a
single manuscript with a long paean to a pagan hero.

Philology.  Textual analysis.  Analogs.  History.  Literary theory.  We have
all sorts of tools at our disposal for understanding Beowulf, and those of
us who love the poem and believe it has meaning today in a world far removed
from the world it describes can find some common ground in our understanding
of the basics of the story.  Ultimately, however, what we get out of it is
at least in part dependent on what we bring to it.

Whether or not Doug, or Jim Jones, or the Bible, or you, or that voice I
keep hearing through the dryer vent -- whether or not any of these are
speaking for God is a matter of faith.  We're all free to believe, free to
disbelieve, and free to doubt.  That's why I reject your either/or
assertion.  It might be all or nothing for you, but it's not all or nothing
for me.

"By what standard" is a con.  It's a trick question, a bulleted talking
point, an empty shell.  You know where the marble is hidden.  If I pick the
cup on the left or the right, you'll pick them up to show me that they're
empty.  That's because the marble is always in the third cup, the cup not
chosen.  And so, the crowd will clap, you'll take my money, and you'll move
on to the next mark.  Unless, of course, I refuse to play.  I prefer instead
to stand at the back and warn the mugs.

So . . . if Doug is Flip Wilson, I want to be Geraldine.  "What you see is
what you get, and what you don't see has already been got."

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

Get holiday tips for festive fun.