[Vision2020] Being Geraldine

Mike Lawyer mike_l@moscow.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:18:47 -0800

At the risk of running a thread into the ground I thought I might give
another little snippet on this topic.

The way Geraldine writes makes me think that what she has to say is
rhetorical. The assumption is she is right and I am wrong and there isn't
any answer for what she has to say. So I join in again...

Geraldine's letter makes me think of another passage in the Bible that seems
apropos at a time like this. It is a rather lengthy passage so I won't print
the whole thing here. But I will tell you that if you have a Bible you might
turn to the book of Judges and read it through.

The book contains a series of seven cycles which contain the same theme over
and over. God puts the people in the land and blesses them. They live in his
presence in joy and happiness for a period of time until they forget the
wonderful things he's done for them. Slowly, over a number of years they
begin to think they can do things better on their own than they can by
serving God, so they do what the text says, "everyone did what was right in
his own eyes." The result was that they became individuals and went every
which way, "doing their own thing."

But invariably doing your own thing means leaving the things that were
wholesome and beautiful and wonderful and trading them in on something false
and selfish. And so the Israelites became decedent and evil. They said right
was wrong and good was bad. They said and did whatever they thought they
ought to do with no thought about what God had in mind.

After a few years of this, God gave them over to the lusts of their hearts
and minds and they sinned until it stunk up the place. Finally, God grew
tired of this outright rebellion and turned the nation over to their
enemies. In each case foreign nations came in and destroyed the nation of
Israel, carting off their women, destroying their cities, enslaving their
people.

Then, when the oppression got unbearable, the people remembered the God who
loved them and had blessed them in the years past. They turned to him in
repentance and asked him to forgive them.

Because God is a God of mercy and forgiveness, and because he loved his
people, he repeatedly sent them a leader (called judges) to set them free
from their oppression. And the cycle started all over again.

My point in this is that Geraldine wants to do what is right in her own
eyes. She and others on this list don’t want God to tell them what to do or
how to live their lives. But God is God and we are not. The same cycle that
took place over and over again in the book of Judges is happening to our
nation and it is because we want to do what is right in our own eyes.

I pray that God will grant our nation repentance before he has to teach us a
lesson by overrunning us by means of another people (Muslims, Mormons,
Chinese, or whatever).

Reading the text isn't all that difficult, you just open it and read.

Mike Lawyer