[Vision2020] Climate

Jerry Owen owenjerry@hotmail.com
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:29:05 +0000

Melynda et al,

Disrupting is an inaccurate thing to call it.  Four NSA students went to the
Gay Straight Alliance to meet people, develop friendships and learn about
the gay community.  Why?  Because in the Christian worldview, just because
you disagree with someone doesn't mean you hate them or don't want to
understand them.  For example, I think republicans are quite off, but that
doesn't mean I won't speak to them or tolerate their presence.

The CRF members who were kicked out of the Alliance (?) asked for a reason
why they were asked to leave and were never given one.  They asked and
emailed (twice).  They were told that they didn't get kicked out because
they're white or male or Christian or dispruptive (although the group leader
said told them as they were being kicked out that asking why they were
getting kicked out was disruptive).  So we're still wondering why they had
to leave.

People of all color, gender and sexual orientation are (and always have
been) welcome at CRF meetings.  And if you want to hear the only black
preacher in town, Chris Morris preaches regularly at Christ Church's monthly
Evensong services (third Sunday of every month) as he did this past Sunday.

Cheerio,

Jerry Owen

>From: "Melynda Huskey" <mghuskey@msn.com>
>To: vision2020@moscow.com
>Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Climate
>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:59:01 -0800
>
>Doug writes:
>
>>Someone needs to take responsibility for the climate.
>
>We *all* need to take responsibility for the climate.
>
>When someone vandalizes Bucer's or the New St. Andrews College, the climate
>is affected.  Likewise when members of the Collegiate Reformed Fellowship
>disrupt Gay Straight Alliance meetings, the climate is affected.  When I
>give in to the impulse to be snotty at the expense of real conversation,
>the climate is affected.  And when the Christ Church Board asserts that
>secularists inherently encourage racism and violence, the climate is
>affected.
>
>Nobody's skirts are clean here.  And in a pluralistic community, each of us
>is responsible for our own actions, and for what we encourage, support, and
>abet.
>
>Melynda Huskey

>Don’t worry if your Inbox will max out while you are enjoying the holidays.
>  Get MSN Extra Storage!  http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

>List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the
>                              mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com

Get holiday tips for festive fun.