[Vision2020] Hello, flock!

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:03:53 -0800

Doug clearly meant to send this to all of you, but for some reason it came
only to me.  Must be that problem to do with Eudora that he mentioned in an
earlier post.  Anyhow, forwarding . . . Joan

>From: Douglas <dougwils@moscow.com>
>To: "Joan Opyr" <auntiestablishment@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Hello, flock!
>Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:52:32 -0800
>

>Visionaries,
>
>Rev. Joan has a very simple creed, consisting of just 21 words.
>Unfortunately, she was not able to get through 21 words without asserting
>contradictory tenets, thus setting the stage for a nasty church split down
>the road.
>
>Someone, on the basis of the first sentence (let us call it the ULC Old
>Testament) could decide that he hates religious freedom, and that this is
>his right. He has every confidence that he has the right to make this
>determination -- nay, the responsibility to make this determination. Hath
>not Scripture said? But then along come these liberals, tinkering with the
>sacred text, telling him that he *doesn't* have the right to determine
>what's right. He is allowed to determine what's right just so long as he
>doesn't TRANSGRESS the sacred tenets of the Second Sentence.
>
>Since Joan the Law won't be taking questions Thursday night, here is a
>question for late Monday. Everyone determines what is right according to
>your first sentence. But according to the second sentence, there are
>limits. What is the religious authority which you are requiring others to
>obey as they respect those limits? Why are you imposing your religion on
>other people?
>
>Cordially,
>

>Douglas
>

>At 03:16 PM 12/8/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>>Welcome to the Church of Auntie Establishment!  Though I am not a licensed
>>counselor, a trained therapist, or a qualified theologian, I have just
>>applied for instant Internet ordination through the Universal Life Church,
>>http://www.ulc.net/.  I have downloaded my pastoral certificate (suitable
>>for framing) to my Hewlett Packard Deskjet 952C, and just as soon as it
>>finishes printing, I will be open for business.
>>
>>Weddings, funerals, marital advice . . . my ordination is legal in all
>>fifty states.  What’s my dogma?  What’s my creed?  What do I believe?
>>From the ULC web-site:
>>
>>“Every person has the natural right (and the responsibility) to peacefully
>>determine what is right.  We are advocates of religious freedom.”
>>
>>That’s it.
>>
>>To celebrate my ordination, I would like to invite you all to an informal
>>secular assembly ­ a Humanist Hootnanny ­ at the Coeur d’Alene Brewing
>>Company on Thursday, December 11th, from 7pm until enlightenment.  I will
>>not be asking questions, I will not be answering questions, and I will
>>certainly not be handing out pamphlets.  I’ll be drinking beer, laughing
>>at my own jokes, and listening to the juke box.  You’re welcome to join me
>>. . . and if Carl Westberg comes, I’ll buy him a pint!  (He is indeed the
>>nicest liberal in Moscow.  In fact, he's just a good guy all around.)
>>
>>Yours truly,

> [...]

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup