[Vision2020] University dollars

Douglas Stambler ccm_moscow@yahoo.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:28:41 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1138673327-1059773321=:19134

wake up, tom, the university of I-gnorance is history, kaput, a goner...hoover basically bankrupted the county, but you all haven't totally felt it yet...

Tom Hansen <thansen@moscow.com> wrote:
Mr. Strand -

Could you provide specific examples where the University of Idaho " . . .
takes business outside the community and outside the state . . . " and that
the purpose of this "business" would be better served in the local
community?

Example: The UI researches whimsits in Location A. Bringing this research
to Latah County would be beneficial to both UI and Moscow because . . . .

Tom Hansen

<DIV>wake up, tom, the university of I-gnorance is history, kaput, a goner...hoover basically bankrupted the county, but you all haven't totally felt it yet...<BR><BR><B><I></I></B></DIV>
<DIV><B><I>Tom Hansen &lt;thansen@moscow.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%">Mr. Strand -<BR><BR>Could you provide specific examples where the University of Idaho " . . .<BR>takes business outside the community and outside the state . . . " and that<BR>the purpose of this "business" would be better served in the local<BR>community?<BR><BR>Example: The UI researches whimsits in Location A. Bringing this research<BR>to Latah County would be beneficial to both UI and Moscow because . . . .<BR><BR>Tom Hansen<BR><BR>&gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; From: Bill Strand [mailto:strand@pacsim.com]<BR>&gt; Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 1:11 PM<BR>&gt; To: thansen@moscow.com<BR>&gt; Cc: vision2020@moscow.com<BR>&gt; Subject: RE: [Vision2020] University dollars<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Tom,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; You wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Another simple question: How many local residents would suddenly find<BR>&gt; themselves unemployed if the University of Idaho!
  closed
 down?"<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I'm not certain why we seem to get in this "either/or" type of<BR>&gt; discussion. The local business community acknowledges their dependency<BR>&gt; on the universities but this does not mean that the universities always<BR>&gt; act in the best interest of the community. When U of I takes business<BR>&gt; outside the community and outside the state, it hurts us as a community.<BR>&gt; Those are our tax dollars rushing out of the state.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I am in no way anti-university. As I wrote earlier, I am a graduate of<BR>&gt; both universities, serve on advisory boards in both engineering colleges<BR>&gt; and am affiliate faculty at U of I. But I also support our local<BR>&gt; businesses (including the pharmacies). My dollars are spent locally -<BR>&gt; Sprenger Construction does all my building work and most of the cars I<BR>&gt; have owned were bought at local dealerships.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; So why are we sending our tax dollars to Beaverton Oregon!
 ? I want
 both<BR>&gt; my salary and tax dollars spent here in Moscow where it supports our<BR>&gt; schools and businesses.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Bill Strand<BR>&gt;<BR><BR>_____________________________________________________<BR>List services made available by First Step Internet, <BR>serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994. <BR>http://www.fsr.net <BR>mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com<BR>ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ</BLOCKQUOTE><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1138673327-1059773321=:19134--