[Vision2020] Digital Television:HDTV:1080 Interlaced/720 Progressive

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:32:41 +0000

All:

One technical fact of importance that was omitted, unless I missed it, in
Sam's description of HDTV, was that the HDTV standard indicates 720 line
PROGRESSIVE SCAN or 1080 line INTERLACED SCAN.  There is some debate among
videophiles as to which of these technical HDTV standards of scanning gives
the best picture.  But the 1080 interlaced picture is not necessarily better
than the 720 progressive picture due to the increase in lines:  Interlaced
scanning is, line for line, inferior to progressive scan.

The NTSC standard we have been watching for years for televised on air
broadcasts is an interlaced picture, which means that one set of scan lines
is run, then another set of scan lines that alternates with the first set
are run a split second later, and the two sets of lines are "interlaced" or
"woven together" to create the picture.  This process was used to allow a
picture to be fitted into the available analog capacity of the broadcast
signal at the time the NTSC standard was set.  But interlaced scanning
causes errors in picture display that progressive scan does not.

Progressive scan runs the scan lines all in one pass continuously, creating
a more seamless, film like picture.  But if you increase the scan lines on
an interlaced display, interlaced scanning can compete in picture quality
with progressive scan, thus the 720 progressive scan or 1080 interlaced scan
standards for true HDTV, that in fact many so called HDTVs on the market
CANNOT in reality display!  These HDTVs will of course accept and allow
viewing of HDTV signals and give a wonderful picture, but a technical
analysis of the actual viewable scan lines will demonstrate that the monitor
is not showing full 720P or 1080i.  CRT display of true HDTV at the
brightness levels people want in their homes is problematic.

As far as I know, computer displays are always progressive scan.  So if you
are comparing the quantity of scan lines between different picture displays,
you must know if you are comparing interlaced scan to progressive scan, to
really judge the differing quality of the two displays.  A computer display
scanning progressive needs many fewer scanning lines for the same quality of
picture that a TV monitor will display scanning interlaced.

Ted