[Vision2020] Digital Television:HDTV:1080 Interlaced/720 Progressive

MoscowSam MoscowSam@moscow.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:28:50 -0700

Ted is correct re HD TV in 1080 interlaced scan lines versus
720 progressive scan lines.

In Moscow, right now, it makes no difference, because
all that is available over the air is 1080i.  And that also
is what I get in HD via HBO and via HDNet via DirecTV:
1080i, not 720p.

Supposedly, NBC and CBS do 1080i while ABC does 720p.  This
probably applies to those who receive Spokane channels over
the air (which probably we could do if we lived on Paradise
Ridge).

I guess the point is that under the new Advanced Television
standards, there are several digital formats, not all of which
are HD, and, you get what you get, you get what is
actually broadcast, the consumer cannot specify which
standard a broadcasting station employs for which
program content.  Part of KUID's content is 480, the HD is 1080.

In my own case, my 65" wide-screen capable TV (purchased
in Moscow two years ago)does display 1080 interlaced
vertical lines, and with good program content, it is
spectacular, as it is this moment, with what appears
to be "Over Idaho" on the screen.

The point of my original post is that over the air HDTV
is on the air now in Moscow, NOW.  You don't have to wait
until 2007.

Sam Scripter