[Vision2020] "American Heroes?"...

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:03:53 -0700

I agree 100% with Mr. Kaag.  The glorification of the liberated POWs as
heroes is wrong.

"Hero" recognition should be given to those who truly deserve it.  My
nominations for such recognition are:

1)  The Iraqi lawyer who crossed enemy lines four times (from the hospital
to the Marine base) to inform the Marines of PFC Lynch's exact location,
enemy troop occupancy of the hospital, and other valuable information to aid
in PFC Lynch's liberation.  This occurred when Iraqi troops were shooting
civilians for simply being in the area.

2)  The Iraqi doctor who assisted in gathering this information.

3)  There was a reporter for CNN.  I do not recall his name.  He was also a
licensed neurosurgeon.  When the injuries on both sides started piling up,
he volunteered to join the "Devil Docs" who operated on both foes and
friendlies.

Any other nominations out there?

P.S. - Concerning the non-funcitoning rifles of the captured members of the
507th Maint Co.  Having served as a squad leader, and later as a platoon
sergeant, in an infantry unit, I know that it does not take much for an M16
to get jammed.  The M16 was primarily designed in the early to mid-60s for
jungle warfare.  If the slightest amount of sand gets into the receiver or
bolt carrier group of the weapon, the M16 will jam.  The forward assist was
added to the weapon in 1969 to overcome this problem.  It only added to it.
Furthermore, these are support troops, they are not required to have the
working knowledge of the M16 as much as a straight-leg infantry soldier.