[Vision2020] Heroes

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:14:34 EDT

--part1_43.1b5b6b97.2bcf842a_boundary

Dear Visionaries,
Don Kaag's remarks on the *heroism* of the 7 recently released POW's has the
authentic ring of an experienced military man.  The media has created seven
heart warming, human interest stories, but Don is right, just being a POW
doesn't qualify as heroic behavior.  On the other hand, until we have
credible evidence of their conduct in very trying circumstances we shouldn't
dismiss the possibility that some, if not all, were incredibly brave.  It
seems probable to me that they might have helped  and supported each other at
considerable personal risk.  There will, undoubtedly, be plenty of heroes to
go around as historians mull over this war.  My personal list of heroes
starts with the countless millions of Iraqi and Kurdish people who have
endured a despotic tyrant, the Navy Corpsman lost his own life when he
knowingly entered a mine field to save a wounded Marine, and all the people
of conscience who publicly opposed this war in the face of incredible media
and political pressure to rally 'round the flag.  Heroism has many different
faces.

--part1_43.1b5b6b97.2bcf842a_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Dear Visionaries,<BR>
Don Kaag's remarks on the *heroism* of the 7 recently released POW's has the=
 authentic ring of an experienced military man.&nbsp; The media has created=20=
seven heart warming, human interest stories, but Don is right, just being a=20=
POW doesn't qualify as heroic behavior.&nbsp; On the other hand, until we ha=
ve credible evidence of their conduct in very trying circumstances we should=
n't dismiss the possibility that some, if not all, were incredibly brave.&nb=
sp; It seems probable to me that they might have helped&nbsp; and supported=20=
each other at considerable personal risk.&nbsp; There will, undoubtedly, be=20=
plenty of heroes to go around as historians mull over this war.&nbsp; My per=
sonal list of heroes starts with the countless millions of Iraqi and Kurdish=
 people who have endured a despotic tyrant, the Navy Corpsman lost his own l=
ife when he knowingly entered a mine field to save a wounded Marine, and all=
 the people of conscience who publicly opposed this war in the face of incre=
dible media and political pressure to rally 'round the flag.&nbsp; Heroism h=
as many different faces. <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_43.1b5b6b97.2bcf842a_boundary--