[Vision2020] "American Heroes?"...

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:23:34 -0700

Visionaries:

On another subject, does anyone else object to the Oprahfication of
America as the news media school, pirhana-like, around the freed P.O.W.
story?

By and large I am proud of the conduct of our troops in Iraq.  They
have shown as much humanity and compassion to both civilians and to
their enemies in a war zone with people shooting at them as possible.
And they have, by and large, done a superb job.  But I am unhappy with
the news media's characterization of the eight former P.O.W's as
"heroes".

Heroes don't get captured.  They do something above and beyond what is
expected of them.  The gunship pilots who got shot down and captured
tried to evade capture when their airplane broke and crash-landed, and
they got caught before they could be rescued, and that's the breaks of
the game, no problem.  But the  five recently-liberated members of the
507th Maintenance Company come across as the "Gang that Couldn't Shoot
Straight".  But they didn't shoot at all, except for PFC Lynch, who
actually shot her rifle and put up a fight. The other five just rolled
over and surrendered.

Perhaps only the other former military folks on this net can appreciate
this, but there are a set of rules for American military people called
"The Code of Conduct" that very carefully lays out what your
responsibilities are when facing possible capture by the enemy.  One of
the most important is, "I will not surrender if I have the means to
resist".

According to the news accounts, when everyone but Lynch tried to shoot
at the Iraqis, their weapons didn't work.  Why is that?  Having run a
tank company in the field, I think I can explain it.  These were
"non-organic maintenance troops" (That means that they fixed broken
vehicles that the mechanics assigned to the units the vehicles belonged
to either couldn't fix or didn't have the parts to fix.)  What they do
in garrison is to fix stuff in higher-level maintenance shops.  What
they do in the field is to follow along, as they were supposed to be
doing in Iraq, and police up and fix whatever was left on the
battlefield for them to take care of.  In other words, these are Army
soldiers who rarely if ever get shot at.  The last time they probably
fired their basic weapons, M-16's or Baretta 9mm pistols, was in boot
camp.  All of that aside, they are soldiers, and soldiers are supposed
to be prepared to fight the enemy.  They were in a shooting war.  Iraq,
as we all know, is a dusty, dirty place, with lots of wind.  My
suspicion is that these soldiers arrived in country, threw their
weapons into their maintenance vans, and never looked at them again
until they were ambushed, because they were busy turning wrenches.  And
then, because they had neglected the necessary daily maintenance of
their personal weapons, when they needed them, they were full of sand
and dirt, and wouldn't fire.

That is pathetic.  But there is plenty of blame to go around.  There's
an old military adage, "Things get done right that the Boss checks."
Somewhere in their parent unit right now, hopefully, there are a
Maintenance Chief, a Company First Sergeant, an Executive Officer and a
Company Commander standing tall in front of someone's desk, and having
punitive letters placed in their files.  If they had done their jobs
and taught their personnel to read a map, work a GPS system, and to
clean their weapons on a regular basis, their troops probably would not
have become P.O.W.'s in the first place.

Becoming a P.O.W. does not make you a "Hero", it marks you as either
unlucky or inept.

Regards,

Don Kaag