[Vision2020] Disturbing trends

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:05:03 -0700 (PDT)

Tom,
  I wasn't talking about McCarthyism. Insofar as
McCarthy was acting as a government agent with
official powers, his activities were state action and
the effect amounted to the official repression of the
rights of others.
   I was only making the point that the activities of
private individuals in boycotting or chastising other
private individuals with whom they disagree is not
censorship or repression at all.
    I would point out in response to one of your
points however, that the KGB has released files
showing that Communist Party operatives and
sympathizers were in fact working directly for Soviet
intelligence. And that nuclear secrets were in fact
funneled to the Soviets by the Rosenbergs and others.

    That said, the McCarthy commitee clearly ran amok
in labeling people and destroying careers. And, as I
mentioned above, since these actions were undertaken
by an official governmental body, they do amount to
official repression. One of their effects was least
the chilling of free debate.

     This is quite a different case than deciding not
to attend a movie because of disagreement with its
star's politics.
   TL
   TL