[Vision2020] Disturbing trends

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:41:39 -0700

Mr. Lohrman -

McCarthyism had more to do with paranoia than it did free speech.  In the
early 1950s the Soviet Union had just developed the bomb.  Prior to that
American considered the SOviet Union to be almost a backward country (third
world almost).

Americans were thinking:

1)  How could such a backward country develop an atomic bomb?

2)  There must be some "traitors" among us that gave them the technology to
devlop the bomb.

Enter Senator Joe McCarthy.  What better way to get headlines as a "true"
American than to divulge names of local Communists and Communist
sympathizers.  If anybody said or did anything that could be interpreted to
be "un-American" in any way was labeled a Communist or Communist
sympathizer.  This "interpretation" was not a result of what was considered
to "violations" of free speech, but a result of mass paranoia, much like the
internment of Japanese-Americans at the beginning of WW2.