[Vision2020] Dealing with Doug Spammer

Mitch Parks mitch@mochaoflove.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:16:48 -0700 (PDT)

What I would propose instead, is to make V2020 a subscriber-moderated
list.

What this means, is that in order to subscribe to the list your
subscription request would have to be "approved" by the moderator of the
list. Once you were subscribed, you could send messages as freely as the
list membership allows.

While it would be a burden on the moderator/owner to handle these
requests, it would slow the subscription process sufficiently to prevent
rogue attacks from "freebie" as well as other email addresses (not
completely foolproof, but would slow most people down).

Further, I would also suggest as either a list policy, or if the
previously named "Wizards" at First Step could make it a technical
limitation, limiting subscribers to a certain number of messages (3?) per
day. This would give everyone a chance to post their thoughts with some
regularity, but not "spam" the list repeatedly.

If this can only be done as an "honor" policy, not a technical one, then
violators with 2 or more offenses would be banned from posting to the
list (unsubscribed) for a period of 30 days per offense.

I think this would be reasonable and fair.

Mitch Parks
Moscow, ID