[Vision2020] Ignorance of History in Schools

John Harrell johnbharrell@yahoo.com
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

I thought the following article interesting. Shouldn't history at the
level discussed below be taught in Jr. High and High School?

Cheers!
John Harrell

---------------------

Ignorance of History

Washington Times
4/11/03

"Widespread ignorance of American history among students and teachers at
high schools and colleges is a major threat to the nation's security,
Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and author David McCullough told a Senate
panel yesterday.  'We are raising a generation of people who are
historically illiterate' and ignorant of the basic philosophical foundations
of our constitutional free society, the past president of the Society of
American Historians said.

"...He said only three colleges in the United States require a course on the
Constitution in order to graduate: the U.S. Military Academy at West Point,
the Naval Academy at Annapolis and the Air Force Academy.  'We need to know
the Constitution, and we don't. When you have students at our Ivy League
colleges saying they thought Germany and Japan were our allies in World War
II, you know we've got a very serious problem,' Mr. McCullough testified."