[Vision2020] Isn't This Racist?

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:28:08 -0700

Ah!  Now I see why Dale thought I'd be surprised to discover the
demographics of the Armed Forces . . .

>Bean-counting liberals want to ensure that there is a fair racial-mix
>dieing
>on the front lines.

This liberal, although not much on bean counting, actually would like most
to ensure that no-one was dying on the front lines.  But if people must
serve in the military, shouldn't they do so in a way that reflects the
population?  Should we return to policies like those in Viet Nam which
allowed the rich, the privileged, and nearly all of our current government,
from the President on down, to escape serving?

I believe, to quote a film, "what we have here is a failure to communicate."

John Harrell, true to his self-imposed task of sharing articles he finds
interesting with the rest of us, posted in rapid succession an article
impugning the University of Michigan's admissions policies as racist, and
another article which whimsically reflected on the confusion inspired in
Iraqi civilians by the racial diversity of U.S. troops.  John described that
racial mix in the military as "diversity at it's [sic] best."

It was that pair of postings which inspired my response:  John does not, it
seems, support the consideration of racial diversity in college admissions,
but admires the policy which makes African-Americans 20% of enlisted people,
8% of officers, and 14% of the population at large.

The largest percentage of people dying at present in this war are, of
course, Iraqis.

Melynda Huskey

"We utterly deny all outward wars and strife, and fightings with outward
weapons, for any end, or under any pretense whatsoever: this is our
testimony to the whole world."
Quaker Declaration of 1660