[Vision2020] Isn't This Racist?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 07:32:06 +0000

All:

Perhaps I've missed something, but the original question by Mr. Harrell
concerning racism has not been directly addressed.  I will not attempt to
answer this question now, especially after following the US Supreme Court
arguments regarding the Michigan case before the court, realizing how
complicated this issue can become.  However, regardless of the various forms
of prejudicial and/or unfair treatment various groups in our society are or
have been subjected to, in both public and private institutions, the
question Mr. Harrell asked was focused only on the possibility of racism
when certain groups are given preferential treatment based on race in
college admissions.

Of course whites have been given preferential treatment in college
admissions.  Rich whites especially have their own forms of "affirmative
action," though I'm sure the children of any rich family, brown, yellow,
white or black, can gain admission to some colleges based on the influence
of wealth when their admission test scores are questionable.

I wonder why there is not a law suit before the US Supreme Court to
challenge this form of "rich kids affirmative action?!"

But the fact that this unfair conduct exists does not negate the question of
racial minorities who gain possibly unfair advantage over white students
seeking admission to college based on an institutional policy of
"affirmative action."  We do have a poor white underclass that is just as
disadvantaged in many ways as poor blacks.

In answering the original question Mr. Harrell posed, it does not matter
what forms of discrimination, prejudice or unfair treatment occur across the
universe in other situations, the question dealt solely with the Michigan
case of discrimination in college admissions based on race in, if I recall
correctly, their law school.

Ted