[Vision2020] Isn't This Racist?

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 07:08:16 -0700

Donovan wrote:

> It also scares me that an officer would use, "People will
> behave in their
> own self interest by weighing the benefits and
> >costs to them of various courses of action, choosing the course that
> >maximizes their individual  satisfaction." a utilitarian
> theory that is
> >long outdated and subjects human being to mere selfish
> objects that put
> >no value on other things or other people.

Hardly. *Everyone* behaves according to his strongest inclination (can he
otherwise?). This does not exclude altruism. An altruistic desire may very
well be the strongest motivation and desire leading to the choice of the
best option.

> My Father was a full CMD-O5 in the US Navy and did not join
> the Navy because
> it was his "best" option. He joined the navy because he
> wanted to serve his
> country and work on planes, helicopters and electronics.

You proved my point. That was his strongest motivation and best option to
accomplish his goal.

> It really is degrading to my father and others who give up
> higher paying
> jobs where they would be better off to serve others to quote such an
> archaic, disproved theory of philosophy.

And others who served many years and died that you could hold to your ideas.

> I challenge you to find one other person alive today with a PhD that
> believes in the theory of Utilitarism, but I will not hold my breath?

I would start with the Nobel Laureates in economics such as Friederich von
Hayek and Milton Friedman. Look at Paul Heyne's "The Economic Way of
Thinking". Economics *across the board* attempts to explain the social world
and interactions by assuming events are the product of people's choices.
That's Econ 101.

If I were you, I'd pick up a good book on Econ and have a read.

Best,
Dale Courtney