[Vision2020] Isn't This Racist?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:55:40 -0700

Dale,

Isn't sad to you that minorities best and often "only" chance in this
country is to volunteer for a job that puts their life on the line?

It really scares me that someone who reached the rank of Lt. CMR in the US
Navy can't even find simple facts on a google search.

It also scares me that you were at one time outranking people who's
nationality you can't even identify.

It also scares me that an officer would use, "People will behave in their
own self interest by weighing the benefits and
>costs to them of various courses of action, choosing the course that
>maximizes their individual  satisfaction." a utilitarian theory that is
>long outdated and subjects human being to mere selfish objects that put no
>value on other things or other people.

My Father was a full CMD-O5 in the US Navy and did not join the Navy because
it was his "best" option. He joined the navy because he wanted to serve his
country and work on planes, helicopters and electronics.

He could have amde much more money and "maximized his interests" by working
for General Dynamics as a private contractor rather then taking 1/3 the paid
he did being the Western Regional Manager of the Tomahawk cruise missile and
working for the Navy. He could have made more not turning down a Captain's
Commission and staying on a Ship.

It really is degrading to my father and others who give up higher paying
jobs where they would be better off to serve others to quote such an
archaic, disproved theory of philosophy.

I challenge you to find one other person alive today with a PhD that
believes in the theory of Utilitarism, but I will not hold my breath?

Donovan Arnold