[Vision2020] Hate Crime on the Palouse

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:23:53 -0800

TL,

  Actually, I don't think you understand much at all. I personally know all
four of the guys that were involved with the flag burning incident. Kasey
Swisher, Kevin Smith, Matt Henman, and Joel Sturgill. I was the ASUI Senator
that told on them. I was with them about five hours before they went and
burned the flag. I was a senator at the time and was the one that called the
press.

Why? It wasn't because it was the flag at all. It was because they used
their positions of authority and privilege of access to steal student
property, destroy it, and used their positions to cover it up. Had they not
lied about it and covered it up then it would not have been that big of a
deal had they come clean. I told them two hours before I called the press
that if they came out and confessed I would help them through it. They said
no that they would not publicly admit to it. And they threatened me not to
say anything, but I didn't  care. It is bullshit (pardon my french) for them
to try to get away with such an abusive act.

Kevin Smith lied that he still had the flag to a police officer, and the
threatening of a charge of "obstruction of justice" was the only thing that
got him to go get the flag from his bedroom.

Their punishment was a weekend in jail, probation and an apology. I know
much more then the paper prints about this. Nor do I hate the individuals
that did this, just what they did.

In terms of them being drunk, well geez, is that really an excuse when it is
a crime for them to drink anyway? Is rape ok when drunk, is killing a
pedestrian when drunk ok? Absolutely not, being drunk is absolutely no
excuse EVER!

I also doubt they were that drunk, considering the complicated act of
walking all the way from SAE House to the Commons, putting your card into a
slot, then going to the third floor, using your card again, walking down the
hall way, grabbing the flag, then walking all the way back to SAE, going to
the third floor with nobody seeing the flag in a house full of 100 people,
then climbing through a small window, burning the flag, then taking it to a
far away dumpster to dispose of it, then later returning to the dumpster,
walking all the way back to your house, and then hiding it in your room.
Gee, sounds like they were really wasted! Smart enough and coordinated
enough to do all that, cover up the crime, and not smart enough to realize
what they were doing was wrong? You will buy anything won't you TL?

In terms of the gay indian boy that disappeared and the body was found,
well, my sister was his neighbor at the time, and friend, he worked for my
uncle, and my sister and friends saw him just before he disappeared. So yes,
I know first hand information about that. The police at the time ruined the
evidence because they refused to investigate the issue until about five days
after his disappearance. So all the evidence is gone, the police blew it
off, and because of it, a murder will most likely never be solved unless
forensic scientists can find something where his body has been dumped. When
a shoe is found on the Moscow-Pullman hi-way, it is a strong freaking clue
that he did not get lost in the woods, lie down, and die.

In terms of the boy that hung himself, well, I am sure he was just really
happy about his life here and his treatment by other colleagues that caused
him to just want to live. Either that or he was a manic depressive and
everyone was really nice to him. Either way, something went wrong. Just
because the police rule something doesn't mean it is fact. When I was going
to Moscow High School half the police force only had GED's. Not the best
education for investigating homicide.

Tom, this is a small town and I know what I am talking about, my family has
been here a long time. The Moscow Cemetry holds my Grandfather, Great
Grandfather,Great Grandmother, as well as dozens of cousins, aunts, great
aunts,and a whole host of other relatives.

Donovan Arnold