[Vision2020] Hate Crime on the Palouse

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 22:40:25 -0800 (PST)

Donovan,
    I didn't say anything about someone's being drunk
excuses anything they do--you said that. Drunk or not,
they deserved punishment for their acts.
   You go through a lot of extraneous detail, but the
bottom line is you and I simply disagree. You think
the punishment was inadequate I thought it fit the
crime. Which at the bottom line, let's face it
resulted in the destruction of a flat. That's it. No
murder, no assault, no injuries. It seems to me that
many college transgressions are treated similarly.
What would you have done to these guys? Years in
prison? Castration? What?

     I see that you did know the fellow that was
apparently murdered and that some evidence was found
or spoiled.
      However, you don't mention anything that makes
it into a hate crime--that's what we were discussing.

     I didn't really understand what you wrote about
the fellow who hung himself. Do you now believe there
was a chance it was NOT a lynching? If so, why did you
say it was? I don't get it. If there was a possibility
that he was just unhappy and NOT lynched, as you
mentioned, why would you say positively that he was
killed by some hater, as you did originally?
     Anyway, the bottom line is you think I'm a bigot
because I would rather look at and find the reasons
for a crime rather than just scream "HATE!" anytime
anything unpleasant happens.
That's your right, call me anything you want--except
late for dinner.
It just seems counterproductive to always see demons
where there's no reason to believe they exist. Don't
forget the little boy who cried wolf.
   TL