[Vision2020] Fedayeen use children as shield

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:00:00 -0800

At 06:23 PM 4/1/2003 -0800, John Harrell wrote:
>Sgt David Baird, who commands a Challenger 2 tank from C Squadron of the
>Royal Scots Dragoon Guards battle group, said that he had witnessed at
>least four or five children, aged between five and eight, being grabbed by
>the scruff of the neck and held by Iraqi fighters as they crossed a road
>in front of his tank.

I remember an anecdote told by a timid nun to my fifth-grade class.  It was
about how a child in Vietnam would visit American soldiers every day and
give them a bag of rock candy.  One day the boy came with a bag, as usual,
but the bag exploded, killing himself and the soldiers.  "So whenever you
hear that our boys were doing bad things in Vietnam, remember the dangers
they faced."

That anecdote left an impression with me for some years.  After I had
developed more critical thinking skills, I recalled the story and asked
myself, "Well, what were those American soldiers doing in Vietnam?  The
Vietnamese didn't send the boy to America with a bag of explosives, the
soldiers had to cross the ocean to get blown up."  I pondered what it meant
to use women and children to wage war against an occupying force.  (Iran
used human waves of children to repulse an Iraq that was being aided by the
U.S.)  This may speak some of the evil of the regime, but it also speaks to
the desperation of the situation.  Women doing reconnaissance for Iraqi
fighters?  Do they really need to be forced into that?  I'm sure many women
on this list, whether they love or hate George Bush, would do the same (or
openly pick up arms) if our country were invaded by a vastly superior force.

It has been stated on this list already:  This is a situation that our
government has entered voluntarily.  If the U.S. were reacting to some
actual military atrocity of Iraq, world opinion might swallow this bitter
pill more easily.  With a preemptive strike, we lose the moral high ground
with every civilian death, not as though we have any moral high ground when
Iraqi soldiers die in this patently illegal invasion.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642