[Vision2020] CNN Breaking News

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 03:01:58 +0000

Melynda, Don et. al.

I don't think Mr. Kaag is as cruel or callous as his comment might indicate,
but I concur with Melynda's assessment of Kaag's statement that the death of
those Iraq citizens in question was "not a major loss to the gene pool" when
she called it "an obscene phrase."

This war is being "sold" as a righteous campaign to liberate the people of
Iraq, install a democratic government, and rid the world of a brutal
dictator who threatens civilization with weapons of mass destruction.  But
the realities of this war may make a mockery of these idealistic goals.  We
may end up with more terror and hatred in the world by the prosecution of
this war.

The soldiers who fired upon those women and children in what I am sure they
regarded as justifiable self defense, likely do not want to be associated
with a view of those who died as "not a major loss to the gene pool."
Perhaps some of them are that callous, but I know from talking to soldiers
who have killed innocents in war that this haunted them for years.

This war is a mess, and like all wars, people become brutalized, polarized
and willing to justify all sorts of horrors that demonstrate how easy it is
to strip the veneer of civilization from the mind.

I might have done exactly what those soldiers did if I was placed in their
situation.

Ted