[Vision2020] Fedayeen use children as shield

John Harrell johnbharrell@yahoo.com
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 18:23:36 -0800 (PST)

--0-1271655662-1049250216=:80687

Fedayeen use children as shield

The Daily Telegraph ^ | April 2, 2003 | Martin Bentham
http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/02/wfeyad02.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/04/02/ixnewstop.html
Iraqi Fedayeen paramilitaries used children as human shields during a battle with troops, a British tank commander said yesterday.

Sgt David Baird, who commands a Challenger 2 tank from C Squadron of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards battle group, said that he had witnessed at least four or
five children, aged between five and eight, being grabbed by the scruff of the neck and held by Iraqi fighters as they crossed a road in front of his tank.

Sgt Baird said the Iraqis had moments earlier been firing rocket-propelled grenades at his tank. He added that he had been forced to halt any retaliatory fire because
of the danger of hitting the children.

"We were just to the south east of Basra and we were being fired upon by rocket-propelled grenades," he said. "I could see the Iraqis ahead of us at a crossroads.
They were wearing black jump-suits with red shamaghs. They were Fedayeen and I was preparing to fire at them.

"They were crossing the road to try and outflank us on the left and, as they crossed, four or five of them grabbed kids by the scruff of their necks and dragged them
across with them. They were using them as human shields so that I had to stop firing.

"The children were only five to eight years old. There were lots of women and children there. It was a busy crossroads but they didn't seem to care.

{..snip.. see URL for complete article..}

--0-1271655662-1049250216=:80687

<P>Fedayeen use children as shield </P>
<P><BR>The Daily Telegraph ^ | April 2, 2003 | Martin Bentham</P><A href="http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/02/wfeyad02.xml&amp;sSheet=/news/2003/04/02/ixnewstop.html">http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/04/02/wfeyad02.xml&amp;sSheet=/news/2003/04/02/ixnewstop.html</A>
<P>Iraqi Fedayeen paramilitaries used children as human shields during a battle with troops, a British tank commander said yesterday.</P>
<P>Sgt David Baird, who commands a Challenger 2 tank from C Squadron of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards battle group, said that he had witnessed at least four or<BR>five children, aged between five and eight, being grabbed by the scruff of the neck and held by Iraqi fighters as they crossed a road in front of his tank. </P>
<P>Sgt Baird said the Iraqis had moments earlier been firing rocket-propelled grenades at his tank. He added that he had been forced to halt any retaliatory fire because<BR>of the danger of hitting the children. </P>
<P>"We were just to the south east of Basra and we were being fired upon by rocket-propelled grenades," he said. "I could see the Iraqis ahead of us at a crossroads.<BR>They were wearing black jump-suits with red shamaghs. They were Fedayeen and I was preparing to fire at them. </P>
<P>"They were crossing the road to try and outflank us on the left and, as they crossed, four or five of them grabbed kids by the scruff of their necks and dragged them<BR>across with them. They were using them as human shields so that I had to stop firing. </P>
<P>"The children were only five to eight years old. There were lots of women and children there. It was a busy crossroads but they didn't seem to care. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
--0-1271655662-1049250216=:80687--