[Vision2020] RE: Living document

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:41:59 -0800

My point is that Bush should have assumed responsibility for his failure.

As an NCO in the Army, I assumed responsibility not only for my actions, but
for those actions of those I appointed under me.  If they fouled up, I was
to blame because I appointed them.  This responsibility does not end at the
Platoon Sergeant level.  It continues up the chain to (and including) the
Commander-in-Chief.  George W. did not assume responsibility for his
failure.  And now, America is expected to swallow another bright shining lie
from his son.

Tom Hansen
Moscow

-----Original Message-----
From: Ry Jones [mailto:v2020@ryjones.org]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 4:30 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] RE: Living document

What's your point? Bush shouldn't have run for re-election? Sure, I can
agree to that.

However, if your position is that the president should independently
evaluate all intelligence and information available before making a
decision, I can't support you. There are not enough hours in the day for one
person to filter the information and make decisions. The president has to
trust the people who report to him to give him good information to make a
decision. This process failed and a bad decision resulted.

We don't know what internal filtering was going on, either. In piloting
aircraft this is known as get-home-itis: view all information supporting
your pre-made decision as good, and anything that contradicts your decision
as faulty. This feedback loop plants lots of GA aircraft into the hills and
plains of the US every year. Unless Bush recorded by the minute what he was
thinking (so it would be free of revisions), we'll never know what he truly
thought.