[CLC-Discussion] Informal poll on expert witnesses

Mark Young mark.young at asbuiltlaw.com
Mon Sep 16 16:27:48 PDT 2019

Fred & most esteemed colleagues:

About 40+ years ago the use of expert witnesses in court cases was the
exception not the rule.  This was before my time…   If there is a perceived
way to increase a party’s chance of prevailing in a case, it is sensible
for a party with the financial means to use that additional tool.  Fred
brings up many valid points about the potential persuasiveness of a “hired
gun” with a jury and the value of a truly neutral expert witness.  I think
there are ways of accomplishing Fred’s goals without requiring special
certifications or excluding certain expert witnesses.

There are several alternatives:

   1. Choose binding arbitration – an expert’s report will be less
   persuasive to a knowledgeable expert in the construction field, or
   2. File a motion for the court to appoint a neutral witness.

I have been a Construction Panel member for the American Arbitration
Association since 2014.  I have a Civil Engineering degree and worked as a
project engineer in the mid 1990’s before going to law school.  I
occasionally find errors in experts witness reports.  Only about half of
the AAA panel members are attorneys, many are professionals with expertise
in their fields.

If you file a motion to appoint a neutral expert witness, a significant
consideration of the court will be how to pay for the neutral expert
witness.  The proposition that the cost be split among the parties seems
reasonable, similar to how a mediator’s fee is split.  It may be prudent to
include a few limitations in the motion:  1)  a fee cap, 2) limitations on
the expert’s past/current/future business relations with parties/attorneys
in the case, and 3) and the expert cannot be a friend or family of the
judge.  *5 CFR § 2635.702**  Use of public office for private gain.  *

I am against some “qualifications panel” determining who can and can’t be
an expert witness and the scope of subject matter of their expertise.  You
risk unnecessarily tying the court’s hands.  Not every expert witness
requires a college degree.  My law school had a couple of federal judges
and a state supreme court justice as adjunct professors; my law school was
about a 10 minute drive from their respective courthouses.  They often used
real life examples in their teaching.  One of the examples from a US
District Court judge; he allowed a person who dropped out of high school to
testify as an expert witness.  This may seem counter intuitive – how could
a high school dropout be an expert witness???

The person had been a ranch hand working on various ranches for 20+ years
and was testifying as an expert on the proper standard of care on a ranch.
The high school dropout was an expert on the ranch topic.  Again, not every
expert witness needs a particular degree, it is whatever will help the
court in understanding the case.

I believe the US legal system is world class, but the even best can always
be improved.  Improvements are made by exploring new ideas, such as those
proposed by Fred and others.

Best regards,

*Mark Young, Esq., JD, MBA, BS Civ. Eng.*

Shareholder, AS-BUILT LAW PLLC

Construction Panel Member, American Arbitration Association

Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office

*Introduction Video:*  https://youtu.be/mgszdSuFlKw

[image: AS-BUILT LAW Logo]

Concentrating in Construction and Business Law

mark.young at asbuiltlaw.com

Main: 561-340-3700

Direct:  561-784-2322

Cell:  561-719-1250