[CLC-Discussion] Informal poll on expert witnesses

Tony Lehman alehman at hpwlegal.com
Thu Sep 12 04:50:04 PDT 2019

I can understand the idea that juries may ignore expert opinions based on the fact that parties pay the experts. That's a pretty high level of cynicism, of course, but understandable. Did you ask the jurors what they would have thought of the case if only one side has an expert, though?

If the court appoints the expert, the expert essentially becomes a testifying special master. That expert's opinion will carry such great weight that it will be nearly impossible for the party whose position ends up discarded by the court-appointed expert to overcome.

And, I know you say that is sort of the point. But, what if the court-appointed expert is dead wrong about their opinion or makes a mistake and fails to consider certain information that is critical to proper understanding. How, then, does the other side get over the threshold of the imprimatur of "court-appointed" and "neutral" if you cannot offer your own expert to point out the deep flaws in methodology?

What happens if the factfinder decides the expert is completely untrustworthy for that particular case? Assume that through brilliant cross-examination you have successfully undermined the testimony of the court's expert. Where does that leave the case? You still have issues that require expert testimony to decide, yet you now have a factfinder left to its own devices in figuring out what the right answer is. Do you want a jury of twelve people who are not experts just throwing darts to figure out the right answer?

How do you define the scope of the court-appointed expert's area of expertise? If you have multiple issues for different expertise in a case, do you have three or four or five court appointed experts - one for E&O, one for delays, one for what the contractor should have done in the situation, one for what the owner should have done in the situation, etc.?

I think your idea is a good one theoretically speaking. In practice, however, I do not think it would work and would strongly oppose it.

Anthony D. Lehman
Partner
[HudsonParrottWalker, LLC]<https://www.hpwlegal.com/>
Licensed in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama
Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law
HudsonParrottWalker, LLC
3575 Piedmont Road
Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30305
t: 678-701-2860<tel:678-701-2860>
m: 404-579-9795<tel:404-579-9795>
e: ALehman at HPWlegal.com<mailto:ALehman at HPWlegal.com>

hpwlegal.com<http://www.hpwlegal.com/>
[Banner]<https://www.hpwlegal.com/news/hpw-among-the-elite-in-construction-industry-law-firm-rankings>

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.