[WSBARP] ancillary probate

Mark Vohr mcv at ohanafc.com
Mon Jan 8 12:27:13 PST 2024

Jenna -

            Its been a while since I did one of these, but Washington does not have ancillary probates, per se.   An ancillary probate is treated exactly the same as any other probate opened in Washington. The only difference would be that you are asking the court to admit a certified copy of the will admitted in the Montana probate.

            Other than that, all the steps are the same.  The inventory of the Washington probate would only contain the property (I'm guessing real property) being administered in Washington.  All the other property in the Montana probate is non-probate property in Washington.

            You may want to include a paragraph letting the court know that this is a probate in Washington that is ancillary to a probate in Montana - noting that the decedent died in Montana, but has property in Washington subject to probate here.

            Not a form, but I  hope this overview helps.

Regards,

Mark

Mark C. Vohr, J.D. CPGC
Ohana Fiduciary Corporation