[WSBARP] Deed v Lack of Probate Affidavit

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue May 2 14:46:07 PDT 2023

Agree with Spencer, Bryce, and Christopher. I think a Lack of Probate Affidavit does no more (and no less) than insert some attested facts into a document in the public record which, if correct, would tend to show how RCW 11.04.250 (and/or a community property agreement) has operated to transfer a decedent’s real property to the heirs at law. Or if an unprobated Will is involved, the LOPA shows, if the will were to be probated and found valid, who would end up with the real property interest.

The LOPA is only useful for trying to convince a title company that they should insure title without requiring a probate. It is not a lawful instrument that actually conveys title. The LOPA creates no actual rights in the property that a person named in it could enforce.

If a probate is started (or an adjudication of intestacy or testacy) and the court adjudicates a different outcome, that will always prevail over a LOPA.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.