[WSBARP] Deed v Lack of Probate Affidavit

Stromberg, Spencer spencer at lucentlaw.com
Tue May 2 14:22:18 PDT 2023

I agree with Chris and Bryce that an LPA is effective only to provide
notice that title transferred by operation of law - it does not itself
convey title. I may be in the minority, but I think title companies use
LPAs too liberally, and they really are only appropriate to clarify the
rights of surviving spouses with regard to community property or heirs at
law where there is no Will (although I don't really like them for
non-spouses). The fact that there is a statute and a WAC authorizing the
use of LPAs in other scenarios for a REET exemption does not resolve the
fact that an LPA doesn't convey title or constitute administration of the
estate under any statute that I'm aware of. Where there is a Will, I think
RCW 11.04.250 requires probate, even if the devisees are the same as if the
decedent were intestate.

*Spencer A. W. Stromberg*
Attorney at Law

1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S
Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.455.3713
D: 509.828.4644
F: +1.509.455.3718 (must dial 1 before area code)
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com

lucentlaw.com <https://www.lucentlaw.com/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/lucentlaw>
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/lucent-law>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/LucentLaw>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.