[WSBARP] Closing Decedent's Apple Cash Account - Green Dot Bank

Kendel Froese kendel at thrivelawpllc.com
Fri Mar 3 10:48:00 PST 2023

Good morning:

I am working with a probate client who is having a difficult time accessing
her deceased adult child's iPhone. Probate has been opened and my client
has been appointed Administrator. We also have a signed Order Allowing
Estate Administrator Full Access to Decedent's Apple ID Accounts.

My client submitted this Order to Apple, which told her that because her
child had an Apple Cash account, she needed to have that account closed
before Apple could grant access to the decedent's Apple ID Account. Apple
Cash accounts are evidently through Green Dot Bank. When my client
contacted Green Dot Bank, they told her that in order to close the Apple
Cash account, she had to submit a letter of instruction including the
language that "There is no will, probate, or other court action." Clearly,
she cannot attest to that because there is an open probate - which is why
she has the authority to request closure of the account in the first place
as Administrator.

I'm really not clear on why Green Dot won't just accept my client's Letters
of Administration as enough to close the account, but before knocking my
head against that wall I wanted to reach out to this list and see if anyone
has dealt with this before.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Warmly,
Kendel

--

Kendel Froese

Attorney, Thrive Law PLLC <https://www.thrivelawpllc.com/>

203 N. Washington | Suite 200 | Spokane, WA | 99201

509.514.5317 (Call & Text) | kendel at thrivelawpllc.com

Instantly schedule an appointment with me here
<https://calendly.com/thrivelaw>!

*Please Note!*

The information contained in this email and any attachments are meant only
for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or
privileged. If you are reading this communication and are not the intended
recipient, any unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly
prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you received this communication by
mistake, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete
the original message and all copies from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation!