[WSBARP] Suicide disclosure

Annie Fitzsimmons atfitz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 08:16:44 PDT 2023

Good Morning.  I know nothing about the new topic of discussion but I do not agree with the consensus regarding suicide disclosure.  I am not aware of anything in statutory or common law expressly excusing a seller from disclosing suicide or other death in the sale of real estate.  I believe it will be an issue of first impression the first time an appellate court hears the issue.

RCW 18.86.010, the Agency Law, defines "Material Fact" to exclude suicide or other death from disclosures that real estate brokers are required to make.  However, the Seller Disclosure Act, RCW 64.06, mandates the questions a seller must answer in disclosing the condition of the property.  The final question on the residential form asks if there are any other "material defects" a buyer should know.  The Legislature did not use the same term ("Material Facts") as used in the Agency Law and did not refer back to RCW 18.86 in defining the information that a seller must give buyer.

I am not aware of any other common or statutory law limiting a seller's obligation to disclose.  Based on that, I have always concluded that while the Legislature has addressed the issue for real estate brokers, Washington law has not provided an answer as to seller's obligation.

There are certainly arguments to be made in defense of a seller not having to disclose ... the Legislature could have asked that question directly on Form 17 if they wanted the disclosure, for example.  Similarly, however, there are arguments favoring seller making the disclosure ... the Legislature could easily have referred back to the definition of "Material Fact" had the Legislature intended to give seller the same disclosure obligation as brokers.  Consequently, I believe the question is ripe for litigation and if your advice to your seller client is that they are absolutely excused from disclosing suicide or other death in the property, I think you put yourself at risk in resolution of the issue.

My two cents ...

-- Annie Fitzsimmons

Annette T. Fitzsimmons P.S.
P.O. Box 430