[WSBARP] [WSBARP Digest] evictions, UD and available housing

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 04:43:13 PST 2023

> On 1/23/23 17:46, Andrew Hay wrote:
>>  Landlords are invariably more wealthy than tenants.

One of the things I learned from practicing bankruptcy is the party that
is owed money is not necessarily more financially secure than the party
that owes the money.  That was one of the problems I had with the Covid
renter relief that was put into effect.  To be entitled to the relief
the tenant did not have to make any showing that they were in any way
impacted by Covid.  And the landlord was offered no opportunity to show
they were suffering severe harm.  This was very unlike bankruptcy court
where the court will consider the harm imposed on the creditor from
continuation of the stay.  During Covid it's entirely possible a tenant
not paying rent was employed by Amazon for $150,000 a year, working at
home, and in no way financially adversely affected by Covid.  But their
landlord would have been prohibited from any form of court relief.

But as to this point, landlords do end up in Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  One
of my clients early on moved here from out of state after the real
estate market in his area collapsed.  He owned four or five rental
houses, as I recall, and lost them all and filed Chapter 7.  And I've
seen others moving for relief from stay where they were retired and
needing the rental money for their living expenses.  The court would
take that into account in rendering a decision.

Kary L. Krismer