[WSBARP] TOD

Mark Anderson marka at mbaesq.com
Thu Jan 5 14:37:53 PST 2023

It sounds like the Grantor wants to ultimately make a gift to Client and daughter.  If they are already on a recorded Quitclaim Deed as Grantees, then they own the property already and a TODD would be unnecessary.

As far as the mechanics of a TODD, the TODD gets recorded prior to death (for obvious reasons).  Upon death (and assuming the TODD has not been revoked), the Death Certificate (redacted as to SSN) is recorded under a cover sheet, accompanied by a Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit.  The exemption noted on that REETA will be WAC 458-61A-202(6)(d).  Under reason for exemption, I've written "transfer pursuant to transfer on death deed recorded with the Pierce County Auditor under AFN xxxxxxxxxxxx; Grantor died on xx/xx/xxxx."

As you've seen (if you're reading your emails in the order received), Dwight Bickel has provided a much more in depth analysis of this situation.

Mark B. Anderson
ANDERSON LAW FIRM PLLC
821 Dock St  Ste 209  PMB 4-12
Tacoma, Washington 98402
+1 253-327-1750
+1 253-327-1751 (fax)
marka at mbaesq.com<mailto:marka at mbaesq.com>
www.mbaesq.com<http://www.mbaesq.com/>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This transmission is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual named recipient. It may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, or other confidentiality protection. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender via e-mail or by telephone at (253) 327-1750 that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.