[WSBARP] Tax Foreclosure Sale and Personal Property

Lynn Clare lynnclare at clarelawfirm.com
Mon Dec 18 14:01:34 PST 2023

My only experience of this 1) was in Grays Harbor County and 2) came
completely undone when the Owner reappeared out of the blue and had my
client's ownership of the property revoked.

That court said, in passing, that it had been "appropriate" for my client
to dispose of the personal property left in the home since she had a good
faith belief that she was now the owner.

Later, when it turned out the county had failed to do a diligent search for
the missing owner and sold the property unlawfully, the lost personal
property was put at the end of the list of damages the county owed the true
owner.

Don't know if that helps, since it was more of an incidental comment during
the proceedings and not what the case was about at all. (FWIW, I tried to
argue that the county had done all they had to do, and the County threw me
under the bus at the hearing - basically admitted that they had screwed the
missing owner by selling the house to my client --- but that meant my
client was also a victim. So she didn't get the house, but she got all her
money back, some damages, and her attorney fees and costs.)