[WSBARP] Due on Sale Clauses and Real Estate Contracts

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Tue Dec 12 11:16:27 PST 2023

Not having been down this road, but "listening in" on discussions amongst
colleagues over the years, and documents that have crossed my desk, my
impression has always been what seems a logical approach:

As someone pointed out, it's all about the language of the due on sale
clause and how the REK is worded, particularly as to when interests vest.

Almost certainly you cannot have a deed or transfer of actual interest in
the property. It cannot be "transferred", "sold" or "encumbered".

I've seen REK's drafted as essentially a letter of intent - if buyer pays X
over Y period, owner will transfer property to them upon completion. Deed
stays in owners' name. I've seen this done for other reasons too (like a
buyer wanting the security of staying owner until paid), and I've heard
others use it to escape the lending call. I can see how that might work.

Riskier for buyer, as there is no security, and only option if there is a
problem is to bring a suit for specific performance. Also takes away from
the buyer the option for any lines of credit, or any benefit of having
those payments on their credit report (if they are wanting to repair
credit). For the buyer's sake, they'd want language in there for recouping
any value/cost of improvements that add value to the property if the deal
falls through before final execution - essentially putting the common law
quantum meruit claim into the contract, unless there is some waiver upon
breach of buyer (etc.etc. - all negotiable issues).

I wonder, too, if that doesn't pose risks to the owner if the buyer could
now be protected under the RLTA, no matter what disclaimers are made. But
you do your best in that department in the drafting.

I've seen a few of these and it's insured essentially like a lease - owner
has to carry the insurance (which cost can be worked into the REK), with
to-be-buyer as additional insured. Would-be-buyer has to get insurance on
their personal stuff - I can't remember if it's technically a renters'
policy, but there is some form of pseudo homeowners' policy for personal
property for a non-owner of the property.

I agree that a different name on the tax rolls might give a lender pause if
they are paying that close of attention; but it's entirely common to have
tax bills go elsewhere other than the property owner, so ... ?? And if the
REK doesn't actually transfer the property yet, that's the key.

Is this being "encumbered"? yes. But if the clause is the "encumbered by a
junior mortgage or deed of trust" or such, you side-step that.

But there is no "transfer" or "sale" until there is one; only a *right *to
have it transferred or sold, in which case *at that point* of transfer or
sale, the clause is tripped.

It makes sense from a lender's perspective. There is no actual transfer of
right - thus no compromise on their security. Upon transfer/execution, then
the due on sale kicks in, but no different than any sale at that point.

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.