[WSBARP] WSBARP Re: Can deed be recorded post-mortem

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Tue Aug 22 12:48:05 PDT 2023

One thing to note ... I don't know we can safely say anymore that an
address is insufficient to constitute a legal description. Per the recent
caselaw we've discussed here before (don't have the case name off the top
of my head, but a few recent appellate decisions) the game has changed
through the misguided and IMO clearly incorrect holding, then later cited
and used again, that a tax parcel number might be sufficient if researching
the records for that number brings you to a correct full legal (upending
the whole premise you can't use extrinsic evidence). Throwing out
long-standing well-settled handy clear law on legal descriptions for
platted property.
I think the argument / analysis could easily be used to extend to
addresses, if the same research on the auditor's site (just using the
address instead of parcel number) brings the same fruit.

Mind you, I think this emerging line of cases is wildly incorrect, and can
only hope the Supreme Court takes it up and clarifies it - either changes
our existing law, or nixes the deviant appellate decisions. Meanwhile .....

That said - I wouldn't rely on that in recording. And I suppose you can
record it (as to answer your question, I don't think there is a prohibition
on recording a deed after death? if otherwise properly executed), as it's
only as good as a court later decides in any proceedings. Though then you
risk improper clouding of title if you're wrong, and paying taxes/etc. that
may not be owed if deed later declared insufficient.

But, if you're wanting to enforce the validity of the deed, and you can
show that a search of the auditor's page using the address brings you to
deeds with the full legal, this new way of viewing legal descriptions would
be an argument in probate to argue that the deed is valid (if that's the
position you're wanting to achieve).

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.

Agree?I think the QCD is not effective and no point in recording it, and
probate of the Will that leaves everything to the client is the way to go.
Otherwise, the decedent?s children from a prior relationship will have
potential interests as heirs at law. Need to probate the Will?or at the
least, adjudicate testacy without appointment of a PR?to make the Will
effective.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen