[WSBARP] Moving tenant property to right of way

Craig Gourley craig at glgmail.com
Fri Aug 11 10:42:50 PDT 2023

Good morning Listmates.   We have a physical eviction and as you all know the statute says that absent a request to store, the landlord must ( not elective) move  tenant property to the nearest public right of way. I am being told by the local police department that if the landlord does that they will be criminally charged with illegal dumping. I had this issue in a jurisdiction in Skagit County and after a conversation with the City attorney she agreed and the PD backed off.   I am now confronted with the same nonsense in Yakima and trying to reach the City attorney. Anyone else In Yakima had success in arguing with the City or County that 1. It is not the landlord's property, it belongs to the tenant  and 2 . Statute trumps their ordinance.  Thoughts appreciated.

GOURLEY LAW GROUP
THE EXCHANGE CONNECTION
SNOHOMISH ESCROW
P.O. Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
PH:  (360) 568-5065 (800) 291-8401
Fax: (360) 568-8092

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain legally privileged, confidential information belonging to the sender. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action based on the contents of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please contact sender and delete all copies.