[WSBARP] Defeating Prospective Adverse Possession Claim

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Thu Aug 3 12:57:32 PDT 2023

I somewhat skimmed the digest so I may be wrong, but not sure I saw the
following points yet in response to your question.

One, there is a simple answer to whether you can unilaterally give
permission: No.

I have somewhere caselaw/analysis on that, as we had that discussion with a
party who claimed to have "permitted" my client to have his landscaping
there via letter. The caselaw is unambiguous in this answer, unilateral
permission does not stop the clock (and if anything, simply affirms the
hostile use). I don't have access just now and won't until next week, but
if you need the authority drop me a line and I can send.

The only remedy is ejectment, you have to have taken legal action to eject
the neighbor (filed suit) to stop the clock.

I think I saw in there something in the P&SA disclosing the issue/waiving
any claim, and I think that's the right approach. But given the time
already spent, if you really want to tighten it up, I'd also make sure
there is a written disclosure/waiver noting the "time is of the essence if
you are buying thinking you'll eject the neighbor yourself" element- say,
that the time period for ripening any potential claim by neighbor resulting
from the encroachment "has either already been met or will be in the near
future, such timing up to the seller to determine in accepting the
property".

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.