[WSBARP] "Linkage" Agreement

Kelby Derenick kelby at derenicklaw.com
Tue Apr 18 17:12:10 PDT 2023

I litigated this exact issue recently.  I represented the property manager
who had a short provision in the management agreement stating if the owner
wanted to sell the property during the term of the contract the owner would
use the manager as the agent/broker.  The provision further stated that if
the owner used another firm to market and sell the property then the
manager would be owed damages equaling 6% of the sale price.  The case was
contested but in the end the court stated that the owner agreed to it and
it was a valid contract.  The owner paid a double commission in the end.

I am not saying every judge would do the same.  But if you represent the
owner make sure you review these management contracts carefully.

Kelby J. Derenick
Attorney

*9414 State Ave., Suite E*

*Marysville, WA 98270Ph: (206) 659-5061*

*14 E. Main Street, Suite 207*
*Walla Walla, WA 99362*
*Ph: (509) 676-9805*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message contains information
that (a) is or may be legally privileged, confidential, proprietary in
nature, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure, and (b) is intended
only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not the
intended recipient, an addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
this to an addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying,
or distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact me
immediately and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely
from your computer system.  Thank you.