[WSBARP] Amending UDA Complaint

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Thu Sep 15 01:08:36 PDT 2022

RCW 59.12.150 <http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.12.150>
Amendment to conform to proof.
When upon the trial of any proceeding under this chapter it appears from
the evidence that the defendant has been guilty of either a forcible entry
or a forcible or unlawful detainer, in respect of the premises described in
the complaint, and other than the offense charged in the complaint, the
judge must order that such complaint be forthwith amended to conform to
such proofs; such amendment must be made without any imposition of terms.
No continuance shall be permitted on account of such amendment unless the
defendant shows to the satisfaction of the court good cause therefor.

RCW 59.12.160 Amendments.
Amendments may be allowed by the court at any time before final judgment,
upon such terms as to the court may appear just, in the same cases and
manner and to the same extent as in civil actions.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:42 AM <Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com> wrote:

> Prior counsel filed a UDA, in 2021 using, first, a three-day notice to pay
> rent or vacate, then a ten-day notice.  The proceeding was delayed, not
> because of the notices, but because the State had yet to fund the court
> appointed attorneys for indigent tenants.  Subsequently, prior to my
> involvement, in the probate for the landlord, the personal representative,
> in 2022, served the 14 day notice to pay or vacate with the required ERPP
> notices and served the Dispute Resolution Center.  Subsequently, we
> received the Dispute Resolution Certificate.  Question, can I amend the
> prior pleadings, rather than start a new UDA?  Its interesting to note, the
> Tenant did not respond to the initial complaint.  An alleged caregiver did
> respond asserting the right to stay on the property.  The caregiver, I
> guess, would fall under the “any other occupant” part of the complaint, so
> any amendment would require a notice and hearing.   Any thoughts?
>

> Jeff
>

> *W. Jeff Davis*
>
> *BELL & DAVIS PLLC*
>
> *Attorneys at Law*
> P.O. Box 510
>
> 720 E. Washington Street, Suite 105
> Sequim WA 98382
> Phone: (360) 683.1129
> Fax: (360) 683.1258
> email: jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
> www.bellanddavispllc.com
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged,
> confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly
> prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
> error, please e-mail the sender at info at bellanddavispllc.com  or call
> 360.683.1129.

> others.***

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson, Senior Associate Attorney

Dimension Law Group, PLLC

*Office:*  206-973-3500│*Fax:*  206-577-5090

*Email: **kaitlyn**@dimensionlaw.com <http://dimensionlaw.com/>*

*www.dimensionlaw.com <http://www.dimensionlaw.com/>*

130 Andover Park East, Suite 300, Tukwila, WA 98188

WE ARE MOVING! Effective October 1, 2022, our new office address will be *631
Strander Blvd. Suite G, Tukwila, WA 98188.*

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This email (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify us by email, facsimile, or
telephone; return the email to us at the email address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.