[WSBARP] What was transferred.

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Nov 16 10:14:25 PST 2022

I agree. A TOD deed would have accomplished what I think was intended. I think Grantor has basically managed to cloud her own title.

If it were litigated in detail I suppose there might be a conclusion that some tangential interest ended up being vested in the remaindermen. I think it would take a close analysis of what specific rights are conveyed by bargain and sale, and then subtracting the life estate rights reserved by grantor, and then subtracting the rights that are expressly reserved by the habendum. Honestly, I'm not sure what it would be, though. Grantor has reserved lifetime possession plus all rights to encumber and to alienate, which doesn't leave much. And saying she reserves "all rights to the same extent as if she were sole owner" pretty much means she remains sole owner.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.