[WSBARP] Can we still use the term of "Independent Trustee" after the Uniform Directed Trust Act becomes effective?

YP Wang yupwang at outlook.com
Thu Nov 10 15:03:02 PST 2022

The Uniform Directed Trust Act (RCW 11.98B) replaced the previous RCW 11.98A.030 (Statutory trust advisor), etc.

RCW 11.98B uses the term "trust director."

I see the WA Deskbook on Estate Planning and some trusts created in 2022 still use the term "Independent Trustee."  I see the roles of "Independent Trustee" are equivalent to "trust director", just want to know is it an acceptable practice to use  "Independent Trustee" or other similar terms in a trust agreement rather than "trust director?" or am I missing something?

Thank you!

Yuping Wang
WA 52018